Jobs > Job detail
Position : Gender Equality and Social Inclusion Specialist (Consultant)
Publish on Oct 6, 2023 | Viewed 2,621
- Reference Id: Bkp_0004575
- Company: The Asia Foundation
- Position name: Gender Equality and Social Inclusion Specialist (Consultant)
- Job location: Bangkok
- Non-Thais allowed: No
- Department: Bangkok, Thailand
- Job type: Contract
- Vacancy: 1
- Gender: Male or Female
- Age: non definite age
- Job level: Officer
- Experience: Over 4 Yr(s)
- Education: N/A
- Monthly salary range: Negotiable
The Asia Foundation is a nonprofit international development organization committed to improving lives across a dynamic and developing Asia. Informed by six decades of experience and deep local expertise, our work across the region addresses five overarching goals—strengthen governance, empower women, expand economic opportunity, increase environmental resilience, and promote international cooperation.
Headquartered in San Francisco, The Asia Foundation works through a network of offices in 18 Asian countries and in Washington, DC. Working with public and private partners, the Foundation receives funding from a diverse group of bilateral and multilateral development agencies, foundations, corporations, and individuals. In 2019, we provided $84.9 million in direct program support and distributed textbooks and other educational materials valued at $7.3 million.Read more
TITLE: Gender Equality and Social Inclusion Specialist (Consultant)
CONTRACT TERM: Through May 2024 initially, with the possibility of extension
LOCATION: Bangkok, Thailand
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Asia Foundation’s Thailand Office is seeking a part-time qualified individual to fulfill the position of Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) Specialist with practical experience in integrating GESI considerations into infrastructure projects’ design, planning, and operations to support the USAID and Australia Mekong Safeguards Program. This position reports to the Deputy Chief of Party, based in Bangkok, Thailand.
USAID and Australia Mekong Safeguards Program (Mekong Safeguards) is a five-year $10.6 million project working with major banks, governments, and developers in Thailand, Vietnam, Lao PDR, Cambodia, Myanmar, and China on large energy and transportation infrastructure investments to strengthen environmental and social standards and practices in Southeast Asia’s Lower Mekong Region. The program is an exciting opportunity to support new and improved ways governments, financiers, developers, and civil society organizations can invest and build sustainable energy and transportation infrastructure.
The GESI Specialist will manage and provide technical input on GESI components of the program, and ensure GESI considerations are incorporated into key programmatic deliverables impacting infrastructure planning and development. Some of the key deliverables in the program work plan include developing and delivering (i) training that include GESI consideration and perspective in the legal framework in Lao PDR, Vietnam and/or Thailand; (ii) trainings for developers on how to integrate GESI as part of the Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) risk assessments in large-scale energy and transportation infrastructure projects; and (iii) technical assistance for project developers to strengthen GESI analysis and policy recommendation in social safeguards and community empowerment activities in Thailand. Other planned activities include directly applying strengthened GESI-related social safeguards on transboundary or regionally relevant infrastructure projects.
The GESI Specialist should have demonstrable experience conducting GESI training with the government and the private sector and practical experience in GESI integration in infrastructure design and operations, particularly in the energy, transportation, and water sectors. The consultant is preferably based in Bangkok. Experience working with other Lower Mekong countries is desirable.
- Provide GESI technical guidance related to Mekong Safeguards objectives.
- Advise on applied GESI improvements and implementation to policies, standards and specific infrastructure project developments in the energy, transportation, and water sectors. Specific infrastructure project types include transboundary high-speed railways, power plants (hydropower, conventional, and renewable), canals, and waterways.
- Support technical assistance for project developers and contractors to strengthen GESI standards and GESI-responsive procurement in project planning.
- Support the monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) team to track and report against GESI-related indicators, disaggregate data appropriately to analyze results within each project component, and conduct annual GESI assessments to measure progress and adjust and/or refine project activities.
- Develop tools, frameworks, and resources to enable better GESI integration in program activities.
- Assist in preparing communications materials highlighting the program’s GESI programming, successes, and lessons learned.
- Provide hands-on advice on integration of GESI into community engagement activities in Thailand. The GESI specialist should understand social safeguards relating to the economic empowerment of communities (especially vulnerable populations, including the aged groups, women, people with disabilities, and women-owned micro businesses) in the countries.
- Available to conduct fieldwork and community engagement in different provinces in Thailand
- Bachelor’s degree in the relevant subject area(s), preferably in gender, social work, political science, international development, or community development required. Master’s degree or higher is desirable.
- At least 4-5 years of relevant experience in mainstreaming gender equality and social inclusion in designing, managing, and implementing project activities, preferably in the energy, transportation, and water sectors.
- Thai nationals are preferred.
- Strong understanding of issues related to gender equality and social inclusion in the region's energy and transportation infrastructure projects.
- Deep understanding and knowledge of Thailand’s context
- Ability to navigate politically sensitive subjects and maintain constructive relationships with diverse stakeholders, particularly in GESI.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and transmit her/his vision to partners and colleagues.
- Ability to influence, motivate, and collaborate with others.
- Ability to work under pressure and against deadlines.
- Fluent in English and Thai speaking, reading, and writing; knowledge of Lao language desirable.
- Experience working in Thailand, Lao PDR, Cambodia, and/or Vietnam is preferred.
- Experience with USAID and/or DFAT preferred.
- Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please email a cover letter specifying the position you are applying for with your resume or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 6th, 2023. In the email subject title, please include ‘Position GESI Consultant’.
(Only short-listed candidates will be notified.)