HR Senior Officer
Publish on Sep 27, 2021 | Viewed 2445
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
The UNOPS Bangkok Shared Service Centre (BSSC) is a Shared Services Centre (SSC) unit established for the purpose of providing internal, global, cost-effective transactional services which enhance the operational capacity of UNOPS and standardize systems and procedures. The BSSC, among other functions, carries out high-quality transactional services within the area of personnel contract administration and payroll.
For young professionals, a job within UNOPS BSSC offers the opportunity to enter the United Nations system via crucial back office service delivery in an engaging and development-focused work environment as part of a dynamic and effective UN entity. BSSC jobs offer a platform of learning and exposure to UNOPS' operations and the greater UN system.Read more
- Reference Id: Bkp_0004314
- Company: UNOPS
- Position name: HR Senior Officer
- Job location: Bangkok , Nakhon Pathom , Nonthaburi , Pathum Thani , Samut Prakan , Samut Sakhon
- Non-Thais allowed: No
- Job type: Permanent
- Vacancy: Several positions
- Gender: Male or Female
- Age: non definite age
- Job level: Officer
- Experience: N/A
- Education: N/A
- Monthly salary range: Negotiable
- Job field(s):
HR Senior Officer
Job categories Administration, Human Resources
Vacancy code VA/2021/B0049/22405
Position Title HR Senior Officer
Department/office FA, SSC, BSSC, Bangkok Shared Service Centre
Duty station Bangkok, Thailand
Contract type Local ICA Specialist
Contract level LICA-9
Application period 19 Aug 2021 – 15 Sep 2021
Background Information - Job-specific
Under the direct supervision of the Manager, Personnel Administration, the HR Senior Officer ensures effective delivery of global HR services, ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. He/she interprets and applies HR policies, rules and regulations, implements internal procedures and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex HR issues.
The HR Senior Officer promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach consistent with UNOPS rules and regulations and contributes to the maintenance of high staff morale through effective supervision and leadership of the ICA Administration Team. He/she works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations and project teams in the field offices and UNOPS HQ personnel, ensuring successful performance in HR management.
1. Leadership and supervision
2. Coordination for UNOPS Provident Fund
3. Implementation of HR strategies and policies
4. Effective HR management
5. Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1. Provides leadership/supervision to the ICA Administration Team for both UNOPS ICA and Partner ICA personnel, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Guidance and supervision to the HR team
- Highly motivated personnel thriving in their work
- Efficient and high quality service to clients according to established service targets
2. Supervises the ICA Provident Fund activities, ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work achieving the following results:
- Ensures UNOPS personnel are enrolled in the Provident Fund in good time
- Acts as subject matter expert on UNOPS Provident Fund
- Supports coordination between UNOPS Personnel and the Provident Fund Provider
- Ensures smooth separation processes, advising personnel on process and options in regards to the Provident Fund
- Supervises the coordination between UNOPS and the Provident Fund Provider ensuring best interest of UNOPS Personnel
- Manages the coordination between BSSC and Finance Group for Provident Fund related matters
3. Provides support to the implementation of HR strategies and policies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of HR activities with UN rules and regulations, UNOPS and Partner policies, procedures and strategies; effective implementation of the internal control, proper design and functioning of the HR management system
- HR business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in HR management, control of the workflows in the HR Unit
4. Ensures effective human resources management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Management of actions related to the unit’s HR activities, e.g., contract administration for ICAs and their benefits and entitlements
- Information and advice to UNOPS and Partner personnel on the conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, and privileges and entitlements under the UN Staff Rules and Regulations and UNOPS/Partner rules and policies
- Management of contracts in UNOPS ERP System, monitoring and tracking of all transactions related to positions, HR data, benefits, earnings/deductions, retroactivity, recoveries, adjustments and separations through UNOPS ERP System
- Information gathering and reporting on technical challenges via appropriate channels within UNOPS
- Maintenance of Local ICA scales and related activities
- Administration of monthly sub-level increments for Local ICA contracts
- Escalation of policy queries for clarification and/or instruction to appropriate HQ counterparts
5. Provides support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of training for the operations/ projects staff on HR-related topics
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in human resources
● Strategic Perspective
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.
● Integrity & Inclusion
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
● Leading Self and Others
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilising appropriate leadership styles
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
● Results orientation
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behaviour. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
● Solution Focused
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
● Effective communication
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground
- Master’s degree or equivalent in HR, Business Administration, Public Administration or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with required qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- With a master’s degree, 2 years of relevant experience at the international level in providing HR benefits and entitlements services would be desirable. With a bachelor’s degree, 4 years of relevant experience would be required.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages and experience in handling web-based management systems.
- Knowledge of UN policies, procedures and practices are highly desirable
- Fluency in written and oral English.
- Knowledge of additional UN Official language (particularly in French / Spanish) is desirable.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement
Contract level: LICA-9
Contract duration: Open-ended
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
● Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
● UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
● Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
● UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
● For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
● The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.