Senior Program Officer, USAID Mekong Safeguards
Publish on Jul 14, 2021 | Viewed 1555
The Asia Foundation
The Asia Foundation is a nonprofit international development organization committed to improving lives across a dynamic and developing Asia. Informed by six decades of experience and deep local expertise, our work across the region addresses five overarching goals—strengthen governance, empower women, expand economic opportunity, increase environmental resilience, and promote international cooperation.
Headquartered in San Francisco, The Asia Foundation works through a network of offices in 18 Asian countries and in Washington, DC. Working with public and private partners, the Foundation receives funding from a diverse group of bilateral and multilateral development agencies, foundations, corporations, and individuals. In 2019, we provided $84.9 million in direct program support and distributed textbooks and other educational materials valued at $7.3 million.Read more
- Reference Id: Bkp_0004288
- Company: The Asia Foundation
- Position name: Senior Program Officer, USAID Mekong Safeguards
- Job location: Bangkok
- Non-Thais allowed: No
- Job type: Permanent
- Vacancy: 1
- Gender: Male or Female
- Age: non definite age
- Job level: Senior Officer
- Experience: N/A
- Education: N/A
- Monthly salary range: Negotiable
- Job field(s):
TITLE: Senior Program Officer, USAID Mekong Safeguards
CONTRACT TERM: Through August 2023 initially, with the possibility of extension
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
SUMMARY OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
The Asia Foundation’s Thailand Office is seeking qualified, talented candidates for Senior Program Officer for USAID Mekong Safeguards.
USAID Mekong Safeguards is a five-year, $8.6 million project working with major banks, governments, and developers in China, Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, and Myanmar on large energy and transportation infrastructure investments to strengthen environmental and social standards and adopt clean technologies in Southeast Asia’s Lower Mekong sub-Region. The program is an exciting opportunity to support new and improved ways governments, financiers, developers, and CSO’s can invest and build sustainable energy and transportation infrastructure.
The Senior Program Officer will manage regional and bilateral projects and activities under USAID Mekong Safeguards, driving progress toward sustainable energy and transportation infrastructure across Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and Myanmar. They will support strategic planning and analysis, budgetary development, communications and stakeholder relations with governments, banks, developers and communities affecting energy and transportation infrastructure in the Subregion.
Though based in Bangkok, there may be opportunities to travel to countries across the Greater Mekong Subregion, including China, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and Myanmar.
Reporting & Supervision:
S/he will report directly to the Chief of Party, USAID Mekong Safeguards
- Work symbiotically with the USAID Mekong Safeguards team to drive the adoption of sustainable infrastructure development bilaterally and regional across the Lower Mekong.
- Advise the Chief of Party (COP) and Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) on strategic pathways to achieving programmatic goals, including quarterly and annual Work Plan development.
- Manage work implemented by a portfolio of consultants, sub-awards and sub-contracts, ensuring clear and constant communication of expectations and monitoring of progress towards goals. This includes offering informational and relational support through USAID contacts, and secondary networks, to bolster resources available to consultants, sub-awards and sub-contracts.
- Collaborate on team projects and duties which include deliverable-specific project teams, such as special reports, contact database management, horizon analysis, and event planning and implementation.
- Strategically analyze regional and bilaterally issues affecting infrastructure development and national sustainability goals, specifically, energy and transportation infrastructure impacts on environment and society. This includes analysis of mechanisms for enhancing environmental, social governance standards (ESG), environmental and social impact assessments (ESIAs), and specific best-practices.
- Act as expert consultant and liaison with partners, including other USAID projects and donors, multilateral organizations, private and public banks, chambers of commerce, and local and national government officials.
- At least 7 years of experience in power sector planning, preferably working with utilities or government energy authorities.
- Masters degree in administration, policy, development, international affairs, energy, transportation or similar field.
- Fluent English speaking, reading and writing; knowledge of Thai or Lao desirable.
- Experience with USAID and/or DFAT preferred.
- Experience in managing programs or initiatives to support regional cooperation or regional policy agendas in Asia.
- Ability to work under pressure and against hard deadlines;
- Experience working in Thailand is preferred.
- Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please send a CV specifying the position to which you are applying with your resume or CV by email to: email@example.com by July 5, 2021
(Only short-listed candidates will be notified).