Publish on Sep 4, 2020 | Viewed 1979
Shrewsbury International School - Bangkok Riverside
Shrewsbury is one of South East Asia’s outstanding international schools, with enrolment of 1730 students from Early Years to Sixth Form, exceptional examination results and particular strengths in the creative arts, design and sport. The school itself enjoys a delightful and spectacular setting, right on the banks of the Chao Phraya River in the heart of Bangkok. The school is readily accessed by road and boats, which provide an easy and quick link to Bangkok’s Skytrain and the city centre. The link with Shrewsbury School UK (www.shrewsbury.org.uk) is taken very seriously and, year-on-year, develops into a world-class educational partnership.Read more
- Reference Id: Bkp_0004199
- Company: Shrewsbury International School - Bangkok Riverside
- Position name: EAL Specialist
- Job location: Bangkok
- Non-Thais allowed: No
- Job type: Contract
- Vacancy: 1
- Gender: Male or Female
- Age: non definite age
- Job level: Officer
- Experience: N/A
- Education: N/A
- Monthly salary range: Negotiable
- Job field(s):
This is a Local Hire Position, and salary would be dependent on experience.
Shrewsbury is one of South East Asia’s outstanding international schools, with enrolment of 1730 students from Early Years to Sixth Form, exceptional examination results and particular strengths in the creative arts, design and sport. The school itself enjoys a delightful and spectacular setting, right on the banks of the Chao Phraya River in the heart of Bangkok. The school is readily accessed by road and boats, which provide an easy and quick link to Bangkok’s Skytrain and the city centre. The link with Shrewsbury School UK (www.shrewsbury.org.uk) is taken very seriously and, year-on-year, develops into a world-class educational partnership.
The EAL Specialist reports to the Director of EAL and will typically be expected to engage in a full teaching timetable including allocated time for planning and department meetings. Our highly motivated, experienced and flexible team of EAL specialists, working across all age phases, have good knowledge of the National Curriculum for England, and support its delivery through an EAL model of sheltered immersion. The EAL specialists also play key roles in the promotion and development of EAL strategies for all. They do this by working closely with mainstream teachers at the planning and delivery stages, and through leading staff training. English language learning is one of the main pillars of the school’s mission, and our expectations of the children are very high. The solid foundation set at the primary level and the development, consolidation and refinement of our students’ proficiency in English as they move through the school is crucial to meeting these aspirations. EAL Specialists at Shrewsbury are exceptional practitioners who understand the nature of second language acquisition and how best to support it in a specific setting such as this.
The successful candidate:
- will hold at least a bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, and at least a TESOL / TEFL qualification from an accredited programme with minimum 120 hrs course time plus an observed live teaching component;
- will preferably have experience teaching within an international school setting and teaching EAL within mainstream curriculums;
- have sufficient up-to-date knowledge of effective teaching and learning pedagogy;
- be motivated, enthusiastic, imaginative and innovative;
- have excellent interpersonal skills;
- be aware of and sensitive to the demands of working in a cross-cultural setting;
- will be a dedicated teacher capable of inspiring students;
- will have a working knowledge of the National Curriculum for England and an ability and aspiration to attain high standards;
- will have knowledge of effective Assessment for Learning strategies and be able to implement them;
- will have a flexible approach to working within the school curriculum and structures;
- will have demonstrated an appreciation of the value of the extra-curricular dimension in developing the potential of students;
- will have a positive approach to professional development;
- will be happy to commit to and apply all school policies.
Shrewsbury International School is committed to Safeguarding and Child Protection promoting the welfare of children. The successful candidate will be required to
- attend in-house Child Safeguarding programmes;
- promote and safeguard the welfare of all students in the school;
- report to the Child Protection Officer any concerns they have for the welfare of a student. This may include unsafe practices witnessed within the school as outlined in the school’s Speak Out (Whistleblowing) Policy;
- keep professional relationships with students where personal boundaries are respected and maintained;
- seek advice from a Line Manager or Child Protection Officer with issues or concerns related to Child Safeguarding.
● International Child Protection Certificate (ICPC) and all criminal record check(s) according to residence history prior to the start of contract.
- Formal proof of identity with photo ID (Original Driving License / Passport).
- 2 signed, confidential references (one of which will be from the candidate’s current headteacher) before the start of contract.
- Verification of original qualifications.
How to Apply:
Applications will only be accepted on the official Shrewsbury International School Application Form, which is available on the school website “Job Vacancies” page.
Full details of the school are available on our website at www.shrewsbury.ac.th.
Any queries should be forwarded to Director of EAL, Mr. Philip Pethybridge (Philip.P2@shrewsbury.ac.th).