UN Web Buy Full Stack Web Developer
Publish on Apr 17, 2020 | Viewed 1103
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.Read more
- Reference Id: Bkp_0004171
- Company: UNOPS
- Position name: UN Web Buy Full Stack Web Developer
- Job location: Bangkok
- Non-Thais allowed: No
- Job type: Contract
- Vacancy: Several positions
- Gender: Male or Female
- Age: non definite age
- Job level: Officer
- Experience: Over 7 Yr(s)
- Education: N/A
- Monthly salary range: Negotiable
- Job field(s):
Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners' peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
The UN Web Buy team (UNWB) is part of UNOPS Shared Services Centre (SSC), which provides policy advice, operational support, and transactional services to UNOPS offices, and is responsible for the administrative support to HQ and Copenhagen-based personnel.
UN Web Buy (unwebbuyplus.org) is UNOPS e-commerce solution for the humanitarian and development sector. Through UN Web Buy, partners can access UNOPS procurement services for selected commodities based on Long Term Agreements. The platform went through a complete redesign in 2017 and is constantly being updated with new functionality.
The UN Web Buy team is responsible for the UN Web Buy service and for the development and maintenance of the system. The UN Web Buy operations team is based in Copenhagen, from where it provides global procurement services through the UN Web Buy platform.
This position is one of three in the system development team, which is being relocated to Bangkok.
Under the supervision of the UNWB Team Lead and technical direction of the UNWB Application Architect, the Web/Database Developer will be responsible for developing high quality, secure, scalable, and maintainable code artefacts to enhance and extend the UN WebBuy platform. The position is dedicated to developing code for the UNWB platform only. Emphasis is put on creative problem solving, collaboration with users, and fostering an active knowledge sharing environment.
Participate in 1) development 2) testing and 3) maintenance of UNWB platform
1. Participates in development of UNWB platform in coordination with the UNWB Application Architect:
- Implements new functionality using:
- SQL Server
- Entity Framework
- Other technologies that may be adopted by the team
- Maintains and enhances existing code
- Implements code in alignment with prescribed architecture and based on approved technical designs
- Ensures optimal performance, scalability, and usability of business applications by adhering to established and evolving architectural standards developed by the UNOPS ICT Enterprise Architecture and Platforms team
- Maintains detailed technical documentation
- Collaborates with team members to achieve optimal result
- Assists in the development of training materials and other guidance
2. Participates in testing of the UNWB platform:
- Writes unit tests and other forms of automated tests
- Performs technical testing of existing and new functionality when upgrades/patches are applied
- Assists in troubleshooting anomalies, understanding impacts and identifying solutions to bugs or gaps in functionality
- Suggests new approaches and/or tools that may be used to improve testing
- Creates new and extends existing operational documentation
3. Participates in support and maintenance of UNWB platform
- Responds to reported user issues that may require software patches or enhancements for internal and external platforms
- Develops and commits software patches/enhancement to address reported issues
Communicates with UNWB stakeholders to address their questions and requests
- Secondary Education/High School Diploma is required
- University degree in Computer Science, Computer Programming, Data Analysis, Software Engineering, Information Technology or other relevant discipline is an advantage and may substitute for some of the required years of experience
- Minimum 7 years of professional experience with .NET/C# with a Secondary Education/High School Diploma (3 years with a Bachelor's degree or equivalent, 1 year with a Master's degree or equivalent)
- Minimum 3 years of experience with SQL and databases (preferably Microsoft SQL Server)
- Good understanding of AngularJS
- Good understanding of HTTP protocol
- Ability to get hands on and be comfortable with bespoke interfaces
- Experience with developing business applications within large and complex enterprise IT environments would be a distinct advantage
- Full working knowledge of English is required
- Integrity & Inclusion
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Leading Self and Others
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilising appropriate leadership styles
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Results orientation
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behaviour. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Solution Focused
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Effective communication
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: ICA
Contract level: Local ICA Support, LICA7
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time.
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.