Jobs > Job detail
Position : EAL Specialist (for August 2020)
Publish on Mar 29, 2020 | Viewed 1,253
- Reference Id: Bkp_0004160
- Company: Shrewsbury International School Bangkok City Campus
- Position name: EAL Specialist (for August 2020)
- Job location: Bangkok
- Non-Thais allowed: No
- Department: Academic
- Job type: Contract
- Vacancy: 1
- Gender: Male or Female
- Age: non definite age
- Job level: Officer
- Experience: N/A
- Education: N/A
- Monthly salary range: Negotiable
The EAL Specialist reports to the Head of EAL and will typically be expected to engage in a full timetable. We are establishing a highly motivated, experienced and flexible team of EAL specialists, working across all age phases, who have good knowledge of the National Curriculum for England, and support its delivery through an EAL model of sheltered immersion. The EAL specialists will also play key roles in the promotion and development of EAL strategies for all. This will be achieved by working closely with mainstream teachers at the planning and delivery stages, and through leading staff training. English language learning is one of the main pillars of the school’s mission, and our expectations of the children are very high. The solid foundation set at the primary level and the development, consolidation and refinement of our students’ proficiency in English as they move through the school is crucial to meeting these aspirations. EAL Specialists at Shrewsbury will be exceptional practitioners who understand the nature of second language acquisition and how best to support it in a specific setting such as this.
Following the success of Shrewsbury International School Bangkok Riverside where 1700 students study in one of South East Asia’s top performing schools, a brand new second campus has opened in the heart of the city in August 2018.
Shrewsbury International School Bangkok City Campus shares the same values, ethos and mission of the Riverside Campus and caters exclusively for primary aged children. 672 places are available from Early Years 1 (Age 3+) to Year 6 (Ages 1 1+)
Both campuses come together to form Shrewsbury International School Bangkok and children from City Campus will graduate to Riverside in Year 7 (Age 12+)
City Campus has established its own unique identity and the two campuses integrate and liaise with each other creating exciting opportunities for both children and for staff.
The school itself is operating on 25,000SQM of learning space. There are 4 major buildings, which have the capacity to fit 672 students. A dance studio, air con gym, canteen, swimming pools, football pitch and running track are all designed bespoke for primary aged children.
The classrooms are designed with flexibility in mind for different learning styles and collaboration. They are fitted with Furnware furniture and Community Playthings; a natural environment creating an oasis in the city.
The link with Shrewsbury School UK (www.shrewsbury.org.uk) is taken very seriously and, year-on-year, develops into a world-class educational partnership.
The successful candidate:
- Will be qualified (holding at least a bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, and an entry-level TESOL qualification) and experienced, preferably within an international school setting;
- Have sufficient up-to-date knowledge of the key issues in Second Language Teacher Education;
- Have sufficient knowledge of/experience of teaching EAL within mainstream curriculums;
- Will have either experience of working with English Language Learners or a desire to broaden his/her experience and skills in EAL teaching and learning strategies;
- Be motivated, enthusiastic, imaginative and innovative;
- Have excellent interpersonal skills;
- Be aware of and sensitive to the demands of working in a cross-cultural setting;
- Will be a dedicated teacher capable of inspiring students;
- Will have a working knowledge of the National Curriculum for England and an ability and aspiration to attain high standards;
- Will have assessment for learning skills;
- Will have a flexible approach to working within the school curriculum and structures;
- Will have demonstrated an appreciation of the value of the extra-curricular dimension in developing the potential of students;
- Will have a positive approach to professional development, particularly in the areas of EAL and ICT;
- Will be happy to commit to and apply all school policies;
Shrewsbury International School Bangkok City Campus is committed to Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. The successful candidate will be required to
- Attend in-house Child Safeguarding programmes
- Promote and safeguard the welfare of all students in the school
- Report to the Child Protection Officer any concerns they have for the welfare of a student. This may include unsafe practices witnessed within the school as outlined in the school’s Speak Out (Whistleblowing) Policy.
- Keep professional relationships with students where personal boundaries are respected and maintained
- Seek advice from a Line Manager or Child Protection Officer with issues or concerns related to Child Safeguarding.
- International Child Protection Certificate (ICPC) or similar record checks as appropriate prior to the start of contract.
- Formal proof of identity with photo ID (Original Driving License / Passport).
- 3 signed, confidential references (one of which will be from the candidate’s current head teacher) before the start of contract.
- Verification of original qualifications.
How to Apply:
Applications will be only be accepted on the official Shrewsbury International School Application Form, which is available on the school website ‘Job Vacancies’ page.
Full details of the school are available on our website at www.shrewsbury.ac.th/city.
Any queries should be forwarded to Amanda Dennison, Principal Shrewsbury International School City Campus firstname.lastname@example.org