Jobs > Job detail
Position : Documentation Center Officer
Publish on Mar 6, 2018 | Viewed 2,682
- Reference Id: Bkp_0003866
- Company: RECOFTC - The Center for People and Forests
- Position name: Documentation Center Officer
- Job location: Bangkok
- Non-Thais allowed: No
- Job type: Permanent
- Vacancy: Several positions
- Gender: Male or Female
- Age: non definite age
- Job level: Officer
- Experience: N/A
- Education: N/A
- Monthly salary range: Negotiable
Application deadline: 20th February 2018
The Center for People and Forests - RECOFTC holds a unique and important place in the world of forestry. It is the only international not-for-profit organization that specializes in capacity development for community forestry and devolved forest management. RECOFTC engages in strategic networks and effective partnerships with governments, nongovernment organizations, civil society, the private sector, local people, and research and educational institutes throughout the Asia-Pacific region and beyond. With over 30 years of international experience and a dynamic approach to capacity development—involving research, analysis and synthesis; strategic communication; training and learning networks; and piloting and demonstrating—RECOFTC delivers innovative solutions for people and forests.
RECOFTC is now seeking a Documentation Center Officer. The successful candidate will be based at RECOFTC Regional Office in Bangkok, Thailand. The contract period will be for 24 months, national recruited condition, with the possibility of extension. This position is for Thai national only.
Located at The Center of People and Forests - RECOFTC regional offices on the campus of Kasetsart University, the Community Forestry library hosts a comprehensive collection of books and publications on community forestry, rural development, natural resource management, climate change mitigation and adaption and similar topics. The open access facility is a specialized library that features materials on community forestry and natural resource management with the aim to be a regional resource reference center for people working on community forestry and related sectors.Within its Bangkok location, it has 8,460 titles (including books, videos, training manuals, journals and magazines) on community forestry, forest management, agroforestry, natural resources management and rural development etc. mainly in English and Thai language. Information on available reference materials is stored on a database that allows retrieval of call numbers, abstracts,titles, authors, publishers, the year of publication, etc. It is intended to be linked to the online Library system of Kasetsart University (pending approval by the University President). The Center’s library visitors comprise mainly of Thai students, lecturers, government officers, researchers, and other NGOs working in forestry and natural resource management.
As a member of the Corporate Services team, the Documentation Center Officer is responsible for selecting, acquiring, classifying, cataloguing, circulating books and publications. S/he keeps maintaining library materials in both electronic and in hard copy, and provides assistance to all users. S/he also provides supports to the Center’s activities and work closely with other parts of the organization when required. S/he also provides mentorship to volunteers and interns when needed to assist with the classification, and cataloging of books, publications, videos, journal articles and other communication materials based on subject matter and standard library classification system.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
The Documentation Center Officer’s main tasks and responsibilities will be as follows:
- Code, classify, and catalog books, publications, videos, and other communication materials based on subject matter and standard library classification systems; produce abstracts and prepare monthly list of new publication;
- Lend and collect books and other materials at circulation desk;
- Sort books, publications, and other items and return them to shelves, files, or other designated storage areas;
- Provide assistance and support to users and visitors, and help conduct basic information and reference service using both printing and online sources;
- Maintain library-related database and online sources to catalogue and access information;
- Provide daily circulation services and maintain circulation records. Register new members and keep members’ records transactions.
- Monitor the Center’s publications inventory and submit dissemination report on a monthly basis for tracking and Monitoring and Evaluation purposes;
- Liaise with the Center’s staff in relation to publication services i.e. preparing publications on requested for RECOFTC Events and/or exhibitions, packing and posting included;
- Provide mentorship to volunteers and/or interns (when needed) to assist with the classification, and cataloging of books, publications, videos, social media and other communication materials based on subject matter and standard library classification systems;
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Facility Administrator and/or Corporate Services Manager.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
The Documentation Center Officer will have the following essential qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor Degree in library or information science
- At least 1-2 year experience as librarian assistant or similar experience
- Skill in abstract writing and able to perform data entry using computer
- Strong IT skills and familiar with the use of database system
- Knowledge of library circulation process and management
- Knowledge of and ability to use library catalogs, index tools, and services
- Knowledge of social media and communication tools
- Good oral and written communication skills in both Thai and English
- Thai Nationality
- Interest in increasing awareness of the Center for People and Forests- RECOFTC publications through online and offline marketing, and willingness to take part in knowledge fairs where the Center may profiles its documentation products and services
- Knowledge of relevant Library catalogs and Library of congress (LC Classification).
- Knowledge of Kasetsart University library system
In addition to job specific skills and experience, the applicant should possess the following characteristics (including attitudes and skills):
- Ability to settle in and adapt quickly to new working environment
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Initiative and ability to make informed independent judgments (which are not in consistent with an overall team approach); and
- Ability to work in a variety of cultural and institutional contexts
Interested candidates are requested to submit their CV and a cover letter, indicating salary expectations and current contact details of three referees, including recent supervisors, to HR@recoftc.org Please quote the position title in the subject line of the email. Only short-listed candidates will be notified. RECOFTC has a competitive compensation package. However, offers shall be based on salary history, relevant experience and qualifications of the selected candidate.
To learn more about RECOFTC, please visit our website www.recoftc.org
Women are strongly encouraged to apply . RECOFTC is an equal opportunity employer and the successful candidate will be selected based on merit.
RECOFTC retains the right to offer this position at a job grade relevant to the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.